Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's Raining, Again


Dock at Quigley's
Saturday, September 3     It rained most of the night and continues to do so.  I suppose the day I stop writing about the rain is the day I'm really used to it, but I can't imagine that day.  I know, I live in a rainforest, but knowing that doesn't mean I'm adjusted yet!  There is certainly no lack of signs surrounding us, too, sitting in our room or out walking or driving, from the many inland ocean waters to the waterfalls even along the roads, to the many running creeks, to the lakes big and small.  Until the time this sinks in, I'll keep posting that it's raining when it's raining.  :-)

It’s amazing there can be so much rain, and the roads and trails and buildings survive.  The rain at this time of the year is not nearly the most we will see, they tell me.  Like a real northern winter makes the spring much more special, the rain makes the non-rain days special, too.  
Quigley's, front, facing view of dock, above
I brought up the microwave yesterday, which Susan suggested we do, so Kathy made oatmeal for breakfast.  Afterward I was enjoying the views out our windows and saw a Great Blue Heron flying by along the shore.  These are very tall and skinny, and pretty common in San Diego, but not so here.  This is the second one I’ve seen.  It's so interesting thinking about the birds the two places have in common and those they don’t:  the heron can’t have a lick of fat on it, and seems frail and unprepared for living in Alaska.  Obviously they don’t overwinter here, but even so, of all the birds POW and San Diego has in common, I would not have guessed this would be one of them.  It is a fish-loving bird, so that factor certainly makes sense.

Still enjoying the rain-soaked view out the window, I spotted an otter swimming along the shoreline.  The otter is one of my favorite animals, because they are the most playful animals, and because they define wildness for me.  Seeing one makes me remember the many Walt Disney and Marty Stouffer programs in which they steal the show.  I had never seen one in the wild until coming to Alaska.  He breaks the surface, then throws his back above the surface and dives.  He does this several times, then disappears under the water, headed toward the dock and empty fish pens.  I keep searching for him to come up.  I’m about to give up when I seem him on the other side of the fish pens.  He seems to be sniffing the air, about 15 feet off the shore, then heads toward where a seagull is pecking at something.  He stops and sniffs several times on his way to the shore.  The gull flies off, and the otter makes the shore and picks up a large salmon, and triumphantly swims away, then dives.  Now I know they eat salmon, and, although I don’t know how long that salmon has been there, it was obviously dead.    
Quigley's, Backside.  Our apartment is on the other side, looking onto the inlet below the mountain ridge.

Friday, September 2     The dogs and I run into Les Nelson today, the Craig Water Plant Operator, the plant being just across the road from the Quigley’s.  Nice guy.  He told me the current Public Works Director, his boss, lives right next door to the plant, where the house is for sale.  He tells me the water supply dam is farther out this road, and is about four feet tall.  We had previously met John Bolling, the Craig City Manager, at one of the dinners, and he'd told us one of his plans was to raise that dam two feet.  I had to tell him about San Diego's plans to raise the 220' tall San Vicente Dam another 117 feet!    Les also told me LeAn Wortman runs the adjacent hatchery.  She drives a blue SUV and is glad to give tours, so I will be looking for her car. I'm looking forward to a tour.

After talking with Les for a bit, the dogs and I continue our walk up the road.  I take them over to where we have seen the young bear twice, but they don't seem to notice:  the rains most likely washing all scent away.  The fireweed is all bloomed out, and the thick cotton seeds that came after the magenta flowers have also blown away, leaving many clusters of tall naked spikes.  

We saw a big Dobbie, and two Pointer-types, and the barky dust mop from two doors houses, all lose and all come out to let us know not to step too close to 'their property.'  When they do all meet, they are all fine, except Lakota, who doesn't make friends quickly.  

I stop to take pictures of a dump truck left in the weeds, it's last license tag showing 1994.  Turning back to continue the walk home, I realize there is a hawk sitting on the rail of the Alaska sawmill just off the road, also in the weeds.  It's staring at me, from about 20 feet off the road.  It's the first hawk I've seen in Alaska!  It sits very calmly while I take several pictures.  I risk moving to a better spot, and he follows me with his eyes, but remains still, despite the dogs roaming around at my feet. I can hardly wait to find out what kind it is. 
My first Alaska hawk, not sure what kind yet.
Doing research back in the room, the hawk was not a Northern Goshawk, or a Red-tailed, but it looked too big to be a Sharp Shinned Hawk.  I've seen these before, too, and they are pretty much smaller versions of a Cooper's Hawk, and this one doesn't remind me of the Cooper's.  I am really missing my bird books, which, along with all my other reference books, are securely packed away, with most of our clothes:  we never expected to be here five weeks and not be unpacked and settled in.  To repeat, moving one last time and unpacking our stuff will be one big day of celebration!


September 1, 2011, Thursday             Well, we have survived our first month in Alaska.  Kathy has completed four weeks at SEARHC.  With these milestones behind us, we still don't feel like we are settled.  That will have to wait until we move into our permanent place, unload our two crates, and put our own things out.  That will be a real day of celebration!

Rain off and on.  We see the bear again, the one just up the road, as we leave to get Kathy to work.   
I make the rounds to the utilities, opening accounts, one for propane, one for diesel fuel, one for electricity and Internet. Last issue will be for renters insurance.

My Dad found out his tumor is benign, thank God.  He'll have it removed in the next two weeks or so.  It's very small at this point, so not bothering him.  
Port St. Nicholas Road, about 3.5 mile, headed out of Craig, AK, to our home at 5.3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment