Sunday, February 26, 2012

Out in the Rain Hike to the some Big Trees

My second week of work with our new Director went well.  We get along very well, and I think the future is bright.  We have a lot of work to do, which is fine with me:  I like to be busy and productive.  Between the two of us, we can accomplish a lot of improvement.

Yes, despite the new director being hired, there are still just two of us:  my co-worker, hired the same day I was, has been let go.  Of course I don't know details, but she didn't seem to know QuickBooks as well as that position required, so that may have been part of the reason.

SEARHC hired a new therapist last week, which will be a tremendous help to Kathy.  The new person will be working in the Craig office, which will be more convenient for Craig clients, too.

The weather continues to be dry and cold.  It's nice to have a reprieve from the rain.  People tell us this is normal for February, then March brings back snow.  I still haven't had my fill of snow, and would rather see that any day than rain.  The weeks are flying by, now that I'm working, so Spring will be here before we know it, then Summer, and, maybe, another visit by Kelli, Jared, and Henry, maybe?!  :-)  It's actually our turn to go see them, but that might not happen until niece Mary's wedding in September:  after dealing with Fall and Winter, I'd really like to enjoy every day of Spring and Summer here, with the flowers blooming, the salmon running, black bears about, and bald eagles back en force. 

Saturday morning I went on an organized hike to see some of the largest trees in the entire Tongass National Forest.  This was a fun hike near Thorne Bay.  The trees happen to be near where two rivers merge, and create a good fishing hole, several fellow hikers told me.  

On the way to the hike, I saw my first Prince of Wales seal lions.  Others told me they were chasing herring, which are here a little early.  Kathy and I went back to the spot later and saw them again.  The arrival of herring also brings the return of the whales, so we have our eyes peeled for them.  Coincidentally, last night we watched a great Nature special on the intelligence of dolphins and whales.  The segment on humpback whales was amazing, and filmed somewhere not far from Prince of Wales Island.  They have been seen to act as teams, herding the herring to make it much easier to eat them.   

Today, Sunday, I took Kathy back to a spot on Big Salt Lake where my friend Bob had pointed out swans.  This was the first time I have seen swans, in Alaska:  I think we saw some in Yellowstone.  They are huge and beautiful, and were still there in the same place today.  They are another example of the white white of this new home of ours, going with the snow that falls, the very white snowy peaks, the white head of the 'bald' eagles, the white patches of the orca,  in contrast to the black black bears, the ever-present shiny black ravens, and the black orcas.


I need to get busy and finalize a supplier for the 13th Annual Prince of Wales Island International Marathon and Half Marathon.  It takes place on May 26.  About 400 people will run, and it should be a lot of fun.  


Brady is in Halifax, working hard on offices of his company.  He's so far east he's in a different timezone than Eastern, so with us being beyond Pacific time, we are five hours apart, pretty crazy.

I'm working on our taxes, much more interesting than usual, with our relocation and our two-state residence issues.  I didn't make any money in Alaska in 2011, and Alaska doesn't have state income tax, so it'll be easier than it might have been.  

I read crying about gas prices in San Diego.  I wish we were paying $3.99!  Our price has recently dropped to $4.28, a 15 cent decrease.  Luckily, we don't use much:  our commutes are all of five minutes, and the bigger town of Craig is only six miles away.  Hang in there, SoCal, I'd bet on continued higher gas prices.  





No comments:

Post a Comment