Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Another Whale, Another Move

Tuesday, August 16, 2011.  Last night we had very heavy rain nearly all night.  I finish packing up the car, for yet another move, and then drive through the development, looking for possible places to rent.  One house is not finished, and another, the owner wants to sell and is not interested in leasing.  I record some other possibilities to return to later.  Kathy calls with some leads, and I follow up by phone.  We get a few leads each day, and keep trying.

Moving the Whale Raven totem to Totem Park
At the store, getting some lunch, I run into Wayne, from the cabins we just left, and he feels badly that they can’t do more for us.  I tell him they have done a lot, and we really appreciate their helping when they can.  A friend of Wayne’s comes by, and tells us about the fish he caught this morning, right here in the bay, and the five whales that were swimming around!  I’ve got to get up earlier to see these myself!   

We head to the park:  It is again deserted, and I let the dogs roam free.  They just love roaming around through the forest.  Kelli calls me, and we talk for awhile.  It's great to hear her voice, and Henry chattering in the background.  Kelli gives me the phone, and I talk to him and tell him it's Grandpa.  Kelli says he gives the sign language for more!  Talk about melting your heart!  She has painted his room with trees from The Lorax, and other characters.  She says he loves it.  He's also standing more and more.  Oh, we just have to get our Skype working so we can see him!

Back to the park, I suddenly realize I’m hearing crows calling to each other, something I'm very used to in San Diego, but haven’t heard up here before now.  Crows are very rare, while the ravens are everywhere, and yakking all the time. 

I’m looking through a notebook I’ve had for over ten years, and see that my Dad started his Alaskan trip on June 8, 1998.  He and a friend drove his trailer all the way to Denali and back, and had a blast, fulfilling a lifelong dream.  I never really had a desire to visit Alaska.  The Pacific Northwest was enough for me, with its own dense forests, rivers, and wildflowers, and a much milder climate.  There is some commonality between the two forests, but significant differences, too.  I could always see us moving back to Bellingham some time, for example.  And yet here I am.  I’m still a little worried about handling a winter here, but the forests are different enough, and the animals and birds, too, that it will keep my interest for a long time. 
I drive to Craig and visit the Wheelhouse Coffeeshop for a hot chocolate.  I talk to the woman behind the counter, about us moving here, our predicament, etc.  She tells me the owner and his wife are in Ketchikan:  when a woman on the island has a baby due, she goes to Ketchikan two weeks prior to her due date, and stays there until she delivers!  I don't know all the details, but this seems like a major ordeal.  It's true their is no hospital on the island, but there are doctors.  Guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

We went for our evening walk about 8:30 pm, and ended up down by the shore.  We were just gazing out across the water, enjoying the view across the water and to the small islands, and both saw a whale spout at the same time!  Even a quarter of a mile off the shore, these are exciting to see.  We watched it surface and spout another four times before it disappeared.  We could even clearly hear it each time, partly because it’s so quiet here!  It’s amazing to be somewhere so wild as to have this be a common site.

I finally get pictures emailed off my phone, and uploaded to a new album on Facebook.  I may post a few here, but my FB page is the best place to see them.  Some show the totem poles from Totem Park in Klawock, which are always interesting to see.

Alaska Pacific Lodge Dock and bay beyond
Monday, August 15, 2011       Half way through August at the end of the day.  Kathy starts her third week, and has several appointments to look forward to, as well as cleaning up older cases.  It rained off and on last night, and  all day.    

Kathy some very cute insulated rain boots yesterday, which completes her rain gear.  Pictures to follow.

I called the local transfer office and told them we did not have a place, so no place to deliver the two crates of household goods.  They were understanding, agreed to hold them until the first of September, despite saying they were huge.   

Brady and Faithanne picked up the Volvo and drove it to San Francisco on Saturday, so Kelli and Jared now have another space in the garage, and Faithanne has a way to get to her new job, as Studio Director!

No comments:

Post a Comment