Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wednesday, August 10, Moving Again

Wednesday, enjoying the morning on the deck.  I drive Kathy to work, and return.  I do some computer work, on my excellent bed, in front of my nice TV, finish packing, and off to the next lodging.  I drive farther out the Port Saint Nicholas Road.  This is a really well-maintained gravel road, paralleling the shoreline, through the forest.  It’s beautiful, with homes spaced out along the road, mostly on the shore side.  I turn around, time to check out of the Lodge.

I turn in the key, and head for lunch.  Next, to the Craig Public Library, where I can use a computer to update my resume, write a cover letter, and print both out, so I can apply for the Environmental Planner II position with the Craig Tribal Association.  It’s a longshot, but opportunities are not growing on trees here!  The connection is very, very slow, and it takes about two hours to accomplish this task.  By now, the Tribal office is closed, so I head to a new park I found in Klawock.  It’s deserted, except for the large flock of robins I scare off, so we have it to ourselves.  It’s a mystery to me why I am not seeing more birds. 

The dogs love these parks. This one is forest with picnic tables scattered, and also on the water. We explore the forest, then head down to the shore, and walk along, seeing lots of shells, seaweed. I have to keep my eye on the dogs so they don’t go for a swim: I don’t need wet dogs right now.

We walk for 45 minutes, stretching our legs, sniffing the bushes, enjoying the cedar and hemlock trees, and the chattering of the ravens. I keep scanning the water, hoping for a whale blow, but no luck today. It still seems odd to me to see so many seagulls near the forest.

We need an address, and it seems everyone has a PO box, so I go to the Post Office to find out about doing so.  The Postmistress explains that there is no home delivery of mail anywhere on the island, hence everyone gets a PO box for free.  Cool, but you only get it in the town where you live, and we don’t have a town where we live yet.  Since Kathy is working in Klawock, the Postmistress says we can simply use General Delivery at her place, so at least we have that. 

We head for A Place to Stay, check in, unload, and relax.  We are here for the next six days, thankfully.  I go get Kathy, and she, too, is very happy to be landed here.

Tuesday, continued: 
I go to our new place, A Place to Stay, only to find out I got my dates wrong:  there was a two-day gap between lodging, not one.  This is very frustrating, especially since I wrote this all down, on a post-it note, which is missing.  Geez, will this ever end?  It’s getting embarrassing.  I/we really don’t want to go back to FishFurFeathers, even though I’m sure they have an opening.  It’s now time to pick up Kathy, and she is not going to be happy.  I pick her up, and let her know.  She starts suggesting places, but I don’t want to show my face at the places we’ve been, so I start calling instead, which is anonymous at least.  Our second call is a hit, and it’s our favorite place!  Once again, we get lucky, at the Alaska Pacific Lodge facility of Shelter Cove Inn, out the Port Saint Nicholas Road.  It’s a beautiful evening, clear skies, quiet as can be, with some whitecaps on the water.  It’s so nice to be in this place.  It’s the complete opposite of the FFF place, from the luxurious beds to the bigger TV, to the deck and view.  We are very happy to be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment