Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Snow, New Job, and New Low Temps Around the Corner

Not only did we survive Friday the 13th, it's one I will never forget, for a couple of good reasons.  

First, we woke to a light snow on the ground.  It's always nice to see fresh snow.  By the time I went out to drive Kathy to work, there were three inches of snow, and it continued to snow much of the day!  It was beautiful, everything covered in white white.  It's dry snow, too, so crunches nicely when one walks in it.  Thanks goodness we now have working windshield wipers.  


Second, at about 8:15 AM, my phone rang:  it was the Klawock Cooperative Association, one of two tribes on the island, asking me to come in for an interview, this morning.  Sure, I'll be there!  Awesome, and interview!  I quickly began getting ready for my 10:15 slot.  

The snow continued to fall all morning.  As long as the snow plow hasn't pushed up a snowbank at our driveway, I won't have any problem getting out.  I'm in luck, and head across the bay to the other section of Klawock and my appointment.

The interviews are running behind, which is fine as it gives me more time to review the job description and line up how my experience fits so well with it.  With so few opportunities on the island, especially at a higher pay, I should be nervous, but I'm not:  I'm determined to be loose and friendly, and not so serious as I often am during interviews.

Finally it's my turn.  I have seen both other applicants:  both appear to be Native Alaskans, and know everyone in the office, not good for me.  It's a panel interview, with four people from the Tribe.  They have a set of 10 questions, and explain they will be rating my answers on a scale of one to five.  First question, am I a Native.  Hey, I'm not, but if Natives only get a bonus of five points out of 50, so I may have a shot at this job!

The interview goes very well.  I am relaxed and friendly, as even noted by one interviewer.  Cool!  They seem impressed by my answers and experience.  They tell me a decision will be made by Tuesday.  There are two ways to measure success of an interview:  do you feel like you made all your points and connected to the interviewers, and, did you get the job.  I felt like I knocked it out of the park on the first measure, and it was good just to get the practice of a real interview:  I tend to get rusty over time.  

Next stop, the medical clinic, to try and get a prescription re-filled.  I'm a walk-in, so this may take a while.  To my surprise, I get called right away:  maybe because of the snow, or date.  Because of my history, and being a new patient, it's decided to give me an EKG and draw blood, as well as my prescription, one of my better doctor appointments of all time.  :-)


I see Kathy, who is fighting off a cold, and has a patient coming, so doesn't want to go out to lunch with me.  I sit in her office and tell her how well the interview went.  She asks me if I wore my Xtratufts to the interview (these are rain boots, but literally everyone wears the Xtratuft brand.  There is even a high school rock band called the Xtratufts.)  I tell her yes, it's snowing and so it's okay to wear these, even to an interview.  Hey, they were under the table most of the time any way!  She thinks not.  

I drive to Craig to pick up my prescriptions and do some shopping.  I'm on the way back, and my phone rings.  It's one of the Klawock Tribe that interviewed me, and he offers me the job!  Wow, I guess I made a good impression!  Of course I accept, and I start on Tuesday!  I don't remember being so excited to start a job!  It's been 18 months, and 2,500 miles since I last had one.  This will be for more or less a nonprofit, helping the community, and should bring lots of satisfaction, as well as a paycheck.  I feel very fortunate!  It will continue our integration into the community, too.  I can hardly wait for Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment