Sunday, March 11, 2012

More From the Island

March 11, 2012, and I and the dogs have survived a week without Kathy.  I'm sure it's tougher on the dogs than it is on me:  they do not get the pampering from me.  It's good for them:  they will appreciate Kathy that much more when she returns, this Friday.

She's had a good time in Sitka.  Yesterday she got a personal tour of a bear rescue place.  They had here go into the empty enclosure and hide their food, so they had to use some their natural skills to find the food.  There were three three-year-old brown bears.  Kathy said they weren't huge, but they were big enough!


Sorry about no pics of the Aurora Borealis:  cloud cover keeps us from seeing any!  Here is a link to pictures though, the best I can do: Alaska Daily News Pictures

Friday our Tribal President came in and told my boss and I that it was time for our "Employment UA."  I looked at her and she had the same blank look as I:  "What's a UA?"  Urine Analysis!  Ah, well, that might be a problem, cuz I just went.  Luckily there were eight others in line, so I started drinking as fast as I could.  My turn came, and nothing.  More water, still nothing.  I had a nice chat with the tester.  Finally, after 50 ounces of water, I came up with a sample.  He tested it right then and there, so that's done.



The tester was an interesting guy:  he doesn't eat anything he hasn't hunted or fished himself.  He probably isn't the only one on the Island, but he's the first one I've talked to about it.  Each AK resident is entitled to shoot five deer, so he gets ten between himself and his wife.  He has lobster pots, shrimp traps, etc.  

It snowed today, four or five times, but wasn't enough falling or cold enough to stick.  Maybe tonight.  I took Quinlan for a walk this afternoon, when there were actually some patches of blue sky.  We walked over to SEARHC, then down Bayview, around the city, and to the park, and about that time we ran into blowing snow.  I was shooting video at several spots along the way, hope to get them up on YouTube soon.  We were gone for about an hour and a half, an nice long walk.  We saw Canada Geese, a Great Blue Heron, Kingfishers, and a few Bald Eagles, oh, and of course Ravens.

 There are two tribal meetings this week, so we should get more direction, approval from a few of our projects, and for my trip to Sitka at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment