Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sitka is my New Home

Kathy came home last Thursday, after two and a half weeks in Sitka, which was a little long.  She was much appreciated by her SEARHC Sitka co-workers, and her boss, since staying an extra four days meant he didn't have to fly over and take a turn.  She now has the experience in working at a second clinic under her belt, and some time in a town with ten times the population of Klawock.  

Today it was my turn to fly away.  This was my first trip in a small plane, and by small I mean a ~12 seat single prop Cessna.  Luckily it was a clear day, and I got a nice view of Klawock and the surrounding area from 2,000 feet, a great view.  I had no idea what was behind SEARHC, the hill across from Viking Lumber, and The Cliffs, and now I know.  Klawock should and could absolutely have a hiking trail up the hill, providing a nice view above Klawock, like Craig has in the Sunnahae Mountain Trail.  

The flight went fine, and was just a half hour to the Ketchikan Airport.  I had just a one hour layover, and then caught the Alaska Airlines 737 for the 40 minute flight to Sitka.  The flat approaches to both Ketchikan and Sitka made me think of the drop-out-of-the-sky San Diego airport, and how it must scare the crap out of pilots used to 'normal' approaches.

Wow, I may have time to catch a movie while I'm here, at a theatre!  Kathy did, sharing the movie with just five others!  Maybe it was an off-night.  

We've had two mornings of snow since Spring officially arrived.  I went for a long walk around Klawock yesterday and heard my first robin, a sure sign of Spring.  

I'm really looking forward to this three-day Heritage Tourism Conference.  I'm expecting to learn loads to take back to the Klawock Tribe for some projects we are planning.  

Still missing my Henry Boy like crazy.  It will probably be at least another three months before I can get time off to make a trip to San Diego.  I'm trying to get Kathy to fly home in April, for an early birthday present.  I think Henry needs to see at least one of his Wescott grandparents as soon as possible.  Kathy wants Henry to call her Nana, the Tlingit version of grandmother.  :-)  I'm very happy with Grandpa.  


Hope you all have a good week.  I know mine will go pretty fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment