Sunday, March 18, 2012

Never in a Million Years

did I ever dream of living on an island in Alaska.  I really never dreamed of living anywhere in Alaska.  I wanted to visit, sure, to see the whales and the glaciers, but never thought about living here.  I like sunshine and being warm too much.  I'm also a stick-in-the-mud, not relishing grand change.  I did imagine living somewhere else beside San Diego, but there are so many other places, and how could I pick one place?  I was frozen by family, sunshine, too many choices, so easier to stay put.  And yet..... 
Clouds and snowy mountains peaking through, across Klawock Inlet.

Today, we live in a very, very small city, on the far side of a huge island, a three-hour ferry ride from the nearest town of any size, which is still very small compared to San Diego.  Who hasn't heard of Ketchikan Alaska?  Who has heard of Klawock, or even Craig, which is twice the size of Klawock?!  I've got a case of Island Fever, is my problem.  I need a trip off the island.  Thanks goodness my employer is supplying one.  Just one more week.....

Kathy is certainly gaining much valuable experience here, no doubt about that point.  She has many clients, from teenagers to senior citizens.  It's very different working in a such a small clinic, with many patients related to friends, co-workers, each other.  She sees a client or two or three where ever we go.  She's finally getting used to this, and just riding with it, following the lead of the client as to how to react.  

This is big country, that's for sure.  I've seen the map with the State of Alaska superimposed over the lower 48, and it spreads from the coast of Georgia to half way across the country, and the Aluetian Island string extending all the way to California.  The northern coast fits just inside the U.S. border with Canada.  

We are looking forward to the return of salmon, when the world changes greatly, bears coming out of hibernation, bald eagles returning to large flocks (we still see or hear one occasionally), and also the return of herring, which brings the whales.  I can hardly wait to see orcas and humpbacks and minkes and maybe other kinds.  

I received this question from a Facebook friend:  "Hey I have a friend at work that used to live us there he says they have a hot line so you can pick up road kill?  Sounds cool; do you ever use it to get something special? He says he used to get deer and even a bear once.  Is true or only BS?

Here's the answer.  You know, most of the people here are about hunting, and subsistence, and I seriously doubt that someone who hits something either doesn't want it, or doesn't know someone that wants it.  So there is no need for a hotline, because it's gone immediately.

I certainly mean absolutely no disrespect to all of the wonderful people who live on Prince of Wales Island, when I occasionally note how trying it is to live on a remote island.  Many people who live here will tell you that taking a winter vacation off the island is mandatory to keep your sanity.  My point in commenting on island live is completely about me, and how this life isn't for me, at least at this point.

We had about four inches of snow last night, so cool.  The sun was out all day today, and warmed the snow off the trees.  It began snowing again before sundown, so we'll see how it looks in the morning.  


The dogs just love the snow, as you can see!
 

1 comment:

  1. The way your story starts off makes me think of what my thoughts and experiences of living here in Sweden are much the same. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be living in sweden. Even more so, a city. I hate city life no matter where in the world it is. I live in Göteborg now after moving 6 years ago from the Mountains and Deserts of the Southwest USA.

    One of my problems here is that I'm an outdoors person. My background is living and working outdoors. I often work with African students who feel the same way as I do. We hate being shackled to an indoor prison type of lifestyle forced upon us by an inhospital climate. Wet and cold. Life for most Swedes is indoors and recreation here is an old terribly outdated Shopping Mall that is reminiscent of something built in the United States in the 60s.

    Well, it's spring now and this month of April my wife and I are visiting Krakow Poland to see her daughter. Hopefully it'll be an improvement.

    Appreciated your thoughts Doug. I'm also a Chaparral lover who hails from Anza, California but originally from El Cajon CA.

    Cheers, Kevin

    ReplyDelete